Closing date and start of contract
August 7th, 2017 – Start First week of September
The Future Earth initiative
Future Earth is the international research platform providing the knowledge and support to accelerate our transformations to a sustainable world. This international initiative was developed under the auspices of the Science and Technology Alliance for Global Sustainability including the following international organisations: UNESCO, UNEP, UNU, WMO, ICSU, ISSC and the Belmont Forum.
Future Earth is served by a globally distributed Secretariat that uniquely encompasses five Global Hubs (Boulder in Colorado, Montreal, Paris, Stockholm, Tokyo) connected through a dynamic, networked structure. The distributed model unites a diversity of perspectives, stakeholders and geographical locations. The Secretariat will work through virtual teams that ensure that the diversity of perspectives and global reach are a daily reality. The Executive Director and Head of Coordination of Future Earth are based in Montreal.
The incumbent will provide administrative, secretarial and logistical support to the Executive Director and Head of Coordination, working collaboratively with the Montreal Global hub team and distributed Secretariat. The incumbent will report directly to the Executive Director.
Support to the Executive Director (55%):
- Manage the agenda of the Executive Director (ED); generate master calendar and logbook; advise on follow up and regular meeting routines;
- Plan and schedule statutory and ad hoc meetings and conference calls; organize relevant material (agenda, notices, formal documents);
- Plan, prepare and arrange travels, events and special projects;
- May act as secretary to meetings and calls conducted by or involving the ED, draft notices and agenda, record minutes, follow up on action items, etc.;
- Support for weekly Executive Team calls and preparatory documents;
- Track ED expenses as appropriate and collaborate with Montreal Executive Assistant to ensure efficient finance reporting;
- Collaborate with the other administrative/executive assistant(s) of the Global Hubs.
Support to the Head of Coordination (45%):
- Administrative support to enable efficient coordination between Global Hubs and other Future Earth entities with possibility of Information Technology (IT) support;
- Regular update of contact database and support in regular communications with Future Earth entities (Global Research Projects, Science Committee, Engagement Committee, Governing Council, Knowledge-Action Networks, National Committees, Regional centres and offices);
- Support for planning and document preparation of Future Earth Secretariat Meetings;
- Support in liaising with local and Canadian partners and projects;
- Support for weekly/monthly Secretariat calls and preparatory documents;
- Potential to expand tasks as the role develops.
Candidate qualifications and key competencies
- Excellent spoken and written French and English
- Superior communication, organizational and interpersonal skills with ability to multitask
- Ability to work independently, plan processes and manage projects with established deadlines and parameters
- Strong sense of confidentiality
- Sound judgment, tactful and sensitive to diverse cultures and constituents
- Availability to work outside normal working hours and to travel on occasion
- Capacity to support communication on website and Open Network
- IT skills is an asset
- Familiarity with international organizations and demonstrated interest in sustainability-related initiatives desirable
- As the position is based in Montreal, the candidate requires having a Work Permit for Quebec.
Salary scale : 35-45K (based on experience)
Applicants to this position are requested to submit a curriculum vitae, together with a cover letter describing their interest in the position, and how their skills and experience would help them meet the requirements of the role. Please also include the name and contact details of two referees. Applications – in one combined PDF file and in English – should be sent via email with “Executive Assistant” in the subject line to email@example.com. The closing date for applications is August 7th 2017. Further information on Future Earth is available on www.futureearth.org.