Industrial Hygiene Officer
Lumwana Mine, Solwezi, Zambia.
Reporting to: Senior Industrial Hygienist
Lumwana Mining Company Limited (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the North Western region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km south west of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for an experienced and qualified individual to be considered for the position of Industrial Hygiene Officer
Reporting to the Senior Industrial Hygienist, you will be responsible for assisting in coordinating and maintaining Industrial hygiene monitoring programs including radiation at Lumwana Mining Company to a standard that is compatible with international practice and undertaken in a timely and cost effective way.
- Assist with the coordination and management of LMC’s Occupational Health and Safety management system to a standard that is compatible with Barrick.
- Assist in developing and implementation of site specific monitoring programs that are aligned with local and international requirements
- Ensure sampling programs are conducted safely and according to plan
- Ensure sampling results are entered into Medgate in timely manner
- Conduct regular monitoring feedback presentations to employees on various monitoring programmes
- Mentoring and training of other staff members to increase industrial hygiene technical knowledge and skills.
- Assist in generating reports to management on site industrial hygiene monitoring programs.
- Oversee Industrial hygiene related training and presentations records.
- Proactively identify issues as they arise and identify solutions with regards to industrial hygiene monitoring programs
- Help to develop, implement and maintain safe work procedures and promote industrial hygiene awareness.
To be considered for the position, you must meet the following requirements:
- Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety or related qualification
- 3 years post qualification experience with at least 1 year in a mining or industrial environment.
- Working knowledge of safety systems, preferable ISO, AS or NOSA based
- Good computer skills with the ability to use integrated management systems, word processing, presentation and spreadsheet applications.
- Member of the relevant Professional body
Zambian Nationals who meet requirements for this position and are resident in Zambia are strongly encouraged to apply
Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a Security and / or Police Clearance Check; a Competence Assessment, Qualifications, Credit and Reference Checks