Deadline for applications: August 7th, 2017. This position is based in Montreal, Canada.
Future Earth is a major international research programme for global sustainability. We provide international facilitation and coordination of research around the greatest challenges facing humanity – and engage policy, business and the public in the solutions to these challenges. Our work stretches from climate change and biodiversity, to human health and transformation of societies. We work with many of the world’s leading experts on global Grand Challenges. This international programme was established by the Science and Technology Alliance for Global Sustainability including the following international organisations: UNESCO, UNEP, UNU, WMO, ICSU, ISSC, and the Belmont Forum. The Future Earth Secretariat is distributed across five hubs located in Stockholm, Tokyo, Colorado, Montreal and Paris.
Future Earth is seeking a Information Technology [IT] Intern to support the daily operations of the Future Earth Secretariat & interaction with the Future Earth community.
The IT Intern will work in support of the Head of Coordination in Montreal & the IT Lead in Colorado. He or she will report directly to Head of Coordination. The tasks are in support of:
- Coordination of the global hubs and other entities of Future Earth (e.g. regional centres, national committees, Knowledge Action Networks, Governing Council, Advisory Committees, Global Research Projects etc).
- Review of current IT tools and adjustment
- Assessment of organizational workflows, business needs and IT requirements
- Review and selection of adequate project management, task tracking, and decision-making tools to facilitate the efficiency and functioning of the globally distributed Secretariat of Future Earth.
- Development and adjustment of selected IT tools considering Secretariat needs
- Development of guidelines to use IT tools and training of Secretariat
- Potential to expand tasks as the role develops.
Main functions and approximate time allotment :
- Information Technology software research, configuration, testing & implementation (70% of time)
- Coordination support (15% of time)
- Administration Support (15% of time)
Qualifications and Key Competencies
- Student or recent graduate in areas of study related to information technology, management or business
- Strong IT skill set is a must
- Programming skills are an asset
- Comfortable working with modern cloud based office software
- Must be detail-oriented, versatile with a diligent work ethic and a strong commitment.
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with an international team are essential.
- Excellent spoken and written English required; excellent spoken and written French is highly desired
- Ability to communicate across different media platforms.
- At times, be available to work outside normal working hours (we are a global organization and sometimes need to be available outside of normal working hours in order to collaborate with colleagues in other time zones).
Stipend: $1000 per month for 20 hours per week
Starting date: 23 of August
Duration: 6 months
Location: Future Earth Global Hub – Montreal, Suite 1020, 1250 Guy Street, H3H 2T4 Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Employer: Future Earth International