We are currently seeking an individual in the role of:
Manager, Social Management & Responsibility
Reporting to the Director, Social Management and Responsibility, this position manages and supports key aspects of Teck’s company-wide initiatives dedicated to ensuring best practices and strong performance in the areas of community relationships, impacts, risks and benefits.
The successful candidate will provide tools, training and technologies in support of social management systems at sites; oversee and coordinate social performance management and reporting; provide subject matter expertise on social management and responsibility issues; and oversee implementation of key components of the community focus area goals within Teck’s Sustainability Strategy.
The Manager, Social Management and Responsibility is part of a broader team responsible for social management, social responsibility and community partnerships and investment at Teck. The successful candidate also works closely with the Indigenous Affairs, Corporate Affairs and Reporting teams, and site based community teams.
- Work collaboratively with operational and development sites to achieve compliance with Teck’s Code of Sustainable Conduct, HSEC Management Standards, and any other relevant social responsibility commitments.
- As a subject-matter expert, provide on-going guidance, support and capacity building to the social management/communities function at sites, including the design, implementation and periodic review of social management and social responsibility activities at individual sites.
- Periodically contribute to development and review of technical information related to community/social impacts in support of permitting and/or regulatory requirements.
- Support the ongoing development, training and implementation of Teck’s in-house social management framework and our Social Management and Responsibility at Teck (SMART) guidance tools across the mining lifecycle.
- Provide oversight of Teck’s social management databases including TrackLine (engagement tracking database) and the social content of Streamline (HSEC and sustainability reporting database).
- Lead the enhancement of social and community reporting, including the development of key performance indicators and managing input for the annual sustainability report, DJSI sustainability index and quarterly reporting to senior management.
- Contribute to, and in some cases, lead the achievement of the community focus area goals of Teck’s Sustainability strategy. Work with site based leads to plan for, achieve and report on their progress against the goals.
- Support the Director, Social Management and Responsibility with strategic planning and decision making processes at Teck.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant professional work experience in the field of social management/responsibly or related fields.
- A post-secondary college or university-level education in social sciences, sustainability, community development, social policy or other related fields. A graduate degree is an advantage.
- Demonstrated expertise and success designing, implementing and evaluating social/community strategies and programs, in particular related to: social risk and impact management; community engagement and relations; social responsibility programs and social performance, monitoring and reporting.
- Familiarity with or working in the extractives sector. Knowledge and experience of international principles and best practice related to social responsibility in the extractives sector, e.g. International Council on Mining and Metals (ICMM), IFC Performance Standards.
- Proven experience in supporting collaborative decision-making in complex or matrix-management environments.
- Experience overseeing implementation of corporate initiatives across multiple internal stakeholders. Must include excellent communication and facilitation skills, experience in training and presenting, and experience in influencing change and change management practices.
- Skills in project management and oversight involving multiple stakeholders.
- Strong research, analytical and writing skills and an attention to detail.
- Experience in or exposure to implementing or overseeing enterprise-level technologies and data collection/management activities.
- Results-oriented with excellent organizational, strategic planning and decision making skills.
- Experience working in international jurisdictions and/or in a mining operational context is highly desirable.
- English and Spanish language skills are highly desirable.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office suite and other applications.
- Integrity, respect and solutions-focused with a commitment to participatory community and sustainable development.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 30% of time.
- Demonstrated commitment to Teck’s safety and sustainability principles.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
All applicants are requested to attach their cover letter and Resume as one document.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK. Teck has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the seventh straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies. Further information about Teck can be found at www.teck.com.