Posting Date: 19-May-2017
Location: London, GB
|Office Country||United Kingdom|
|Division||Risk and Compliance Group|
|Dept. / Bus. Group||Environment & Sustainability|
|Business Unit||Operations Team – Yildiz|
|Posting End Date||04/06/2017|
The Principal Environmental Adviser’s/Environmental Specialist’s primary role is for leading, supervising and/or oversight of the appraisal and due diligence and monitoring of the Bank’s investments for their potential risks and compliance with the Bank’s Environment and Social Policy (ESP) and Public Information Policy (PIP) requirements. This role is critical in preventing occurrence of institutional liabilities of financial and reputational nature related to E&S impacts of Bank’s transactions, country and sector policies and broader initiatives. In pursuing this objective, this role supports and closely interacts with Clients, Banking, Economics, Policy, and Governance (EPG), Office of General Counsel (OGC), Policy & Stakeholder Engagement units, regulatory agencies, other IFIs and project stakeholders.
The role would form part of a team of environmental and sustainability specialists and advisers whose primary role is environmental and social appraisal and monitoring of Bank supported projects. She/He would work closely with banking teams, other bank specialists, including those outside ESD, and clients during the development and implementation of a range of projects in a number of sectors.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Plan, and formulate and manage due diligence approaches in liaison with the Environment and Sustainability Department (ESD) Assurance Manager and Banking teams to ensure that projects are structured to meet the E&S Policy Performance Requirements and in line with the E&S Procedures.
- Carry out in-house due diligence or coordinate external consultants’ delivery of the E&S appraisal, and subsequent monitoring activities across a broad range of sectors.
- Prepare E&S Summaries, E&S Action Plans, Back to Office Reports on site visits and respective sections in the Bank’s documents for projects in a broad range of sectors to ensure adequate assessment and communication of E&S risks, impacts, and benefits under the Bank’s mandate.
- Lead and coordinate ESD specialists working on project teams when assigned as Lead or technical lead to ensure effective and efficient delivery of the Bank’s objectives throughout project cycle.
- Provide and/or coordinate specialists’ input to sector and country strategies/policies, papers or other initiatives.
- Represent ESD, as required, at the technical/practitioner level at all levels of internal and external meetings with regulatory agencies, IFIs, project affected people, government officials and civil society organisations.
- Manage delivery of specific Technical Cooperation assignments or provide comments to the other teams’ TC work based on identified opportunities for broader Bank’s policy dialog and E&S benefits creation at project, sector or country levels.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Working familiarity with the EBRD’s E&S Policies and the associated Performance Requirements and / or IFC’s Performance Standards, World Bank Group Safeguards and / or other IFI requirements.
- Knowledge and expertise of technical environmental and/or social issues;
- Knowledge of main EU and international E&S requirements, practices and guidelines (e.g. EU BAT reference documents, World Bank’s EHS Guidelines, Equator Principles, etc.), as well as best practice approaches to managing E&S risks (e.g. ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001, EMAS, HAACP, etc.);
- Knowledge of main EU and international requirements, practices and guidelines on protection and conservation of biodiversity is recommended;
- Understanding of IFI’s working environment, policies and procedures, and ability for organisational alignment.
- Effective time management and organisational skills and ability to multi-task without losing attention to detail;
- High-level English writing and verbal skills, and numeric, methodological and IT skills at the level corresponding for the role.
- Knowledge of at least one language native to COO(s), French would be an advantage.
- Negotiation, persuasion and influence skills in internal and external engagement activities to deliver the team’s and Bank’s objectives, based on strong interpersonal and effective communication skills;
- Ability to work on a number of projects and TC Operations at a time at different life cycle stages: exploratory, under due diligence, implementation, monitoring, evaluation;
- 5-10 years professional experience gained in the environmental and social appraisal of projects, including ESIA, auditing, management systems and stakeholder engagement;
- Past work experience in and/or good understanding of the Bank’s countries of operation language, culture, and E&S context;
- Higher Education degree or equivalent professional qualifications in relevant subjects;
- The role requires combining a compliance driven approach to appraisal while focusing on solution and compromise oriented outcomes under time and political pressures of delivering Bank’s policy objectives and business targets.
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities.
Job Segment: Environmental Engineering, Bank, Banking, Law, Risk Management, Engineering, Finance, Legal